Thursday, March 11, 2010

New Life for 2 Sad Dining Chairs...

These lovely ladies had seen better days...missing their seats, lots of scratches & scuffs...

Nothing a hand sander and a little upholstered bench seat can't fix! First, I made the scratches and scuffs appear to be on purpose (by adding more of course!) and attached a rectangular piece of plywood covered with a graphic black and cream floral. I also added a burlap pillow with a large red felt flower pin. So many possibilities with these....what a cool project! I had planned to cover the seat with burlap and do a floral pillow, but changed my mind at the last. Glad I did!

I think I will be making more benches.....sorry Dad!

(Fresh) Trash 2 Treasure

First, the maple side table....a dumpster find....! Please note, I did not actually climb in the dumpster, the tables were sitting beside it. & A friend was kind enough to point them out to me :) ! I simply sanded the tables, painted a cream color, distressed some more, and wiped an ebony stain on top! 2 Free tables....check! They are going to the school auction later this month!

And now the ugly 80's mauve lamps. Same dumpster, well just beside it. First, as you can see in picture #1 above, I sanded the lamps. I then painted them white, too boring. I then wiped an ebony stain on top of the paint, to weird. Hmmmmmm.....decoupage will cover up all my mistakes!!! I used an old dictionary purchased at the Habitat Restore for $0.50. (knew it would come in handy!) Funky shades with black and khaki stripes, perfect match. Still think the shades need a great big colorful fabric flower? What do you think???? Lamps are also headed to the auction, sure hope they find a home!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Another auction quilt down & 1 TO GO....

So I have not posted in a while....busy quilting, refinishing furniture, and taking care of a sick child and a husband that just had surgery. (not in that order) Child is better, husband is on the mend.

But finally! The three year old class quilt is finished! The silhouettes turned out great and were super easy! Here are the steps:

1. Take a profile picture, against a white or light colored wall
2. Print the picture using black & white ink (draft mode on your printer)
3. Iron heavy duty wonder under (or similar product) to a piece of fabric large enough to hold picture.
4. Using a glue stick or double sided tape attach picture to the paper side of wonder under
5. SLOWLY cut around the are cutting through the paper, wonder under, and fabric
6. Peel off paper (picture) and wonder under. You should be left with a profile silhouette, fabric on one side, and shiny sticky material on the other
7. Place fabric shiny side down onto the bask fabric and iron! DONE!
8. Do not try to sew through the finished doesn't work, trust me ;)